The origin of Taj Museum goes back to 1906 when it was established at the instance of Lord Curzon(Viceroy of India 1899 to 1905) in two hexagonal rooms on the west side of main entrance gateway to the Taj Mahal. Further, Khan Bahadur Maulvi Zafar Hussan, Honorary Curator and Superintendent, Archaeological Survey, erstwhile Northern Circle, Agra made valuable efforts to develop this Museum.
The exhibits of the Museum at that time include old plans of the Taj Mahal, samples of the stones used in inlay work, old photographs of the Taj Mahal, a few coloured drawings, Farmans (Royal orders), Sanads (land records), specimens of precious stones used in the Construction of Taj Mahal.
Now, Taj Museum is housed in the Western Jal Mahal which is a part of the Taj Mahal complex. It is a double storied building having a quadrangle projection outside in the centre of the middle of western wall and is built on a raised platform. The ground floor housed the museum whereas upper storey is utilized as office. The full grown museum in its present form was established and started functioning from 18th September, 1982. Presently, the Museum galleries are upgraded accordingly with a view to highlight each subject.