Mariam’s tomb is located on the left side of Agra-Mathura road, to the west of Akbar’s tomb, Sikandara. The tomb houses the mortal remains of Mariam Zamani, a Rajpt Princess of Amber (Jaipur) and the wife of Emperor Akbar and mother of Jahangir (Salim). The structure was originally a pleasure pavilion under Sikander Lodi who built it in AD 1495. Additions and renovations were made in 1623 AD when this baradari was converted into a tomb. The ground floor consists of some forty chambers built by Sikander Lodi, which bear faint traces of paintings on plastered walls. The centre of the ground floor houses the cenotaph of Mariam. The facades of the baradari had been veneered with red sandstone, which is cut into numerous panels and adorned with geometrical patterns carved in bas-relief. Each quoin of the structure is added with an ornamental octagonal tower. The tower is crowned by a pavilion supported by slender pillars. The upper storey contains the marble cenotaph, which is open to sky.
Open from: Sunrise to Sunset
Citizens of India and visitors of SAARC (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Maldives and Afghanistan) and BIMSTEC Countries (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Myanmar) – Rs. 5 per head.
Indian Rs. 100/- per head
(Free entry to children up to 15 years)